Sunday, February 23, 2014

Museum of Biological Diversity at Ohio State University Open House

Museum of Biological Diversity at Ohio State University Open House

In my search for inexpensive, educational, and fun activities to do with my grandson, I stumbled upon the Museum of Biological Diversity at Ohio State University Open House.  It promised a day of education and biological wonders.  It was also FREE (Donations Appreciated).  Free is one of my favorite words.  

According to their Facebook page, The Museum of Biological Diversity has over 9 million specimens and they are dedicated to preservation, documentation, and scientific study of biodiversity.  Intrigued, I packed up the husband and the grandson and off we went.  

Two days earlier, I didn't even know that this place existed.  What a find!  If you have a child, then this event is a must to put onto your calendar for next year.  I do not know if this facility is open throughout the year.  It seemed to have an academic side to it that may not be conducive to daily tours.  Perhaps, someone from the facility can answer that for me.

Nature





Insects and Microscopes




Aquatic and Marine



DNA Lab


Birds





Plants and Plant Specimen Mounting - This lady and her friend (sorry, I don't have her picture) were so sweet.  They discussed plant specimen mounting and gave me helpful tips.  I have a new project to do with my grandson.  Thank you!


Kid Activities







There were many more areas of interest, including an amazing section on flying insects.  After every section, the children received a button.  It became an educational treasure hunt for my grandson.  That was a nice touch.  All of the guides, helpers, students, scientists were so nice.  While their open house seemed to be geared toward inspiring and educating children, it offered much more.  This moderately active Ohioan enjoyed it just as much as my grandson.

What a great event!



No comments:

Post a Comment