Saturday, January 18, 2014

Hocking Hills State Park:  Hocking Hills Winter Hike 01/18/2014


The activities committee (me) chose the Hocking Hills Winter Hike to start off the new year of a more active me.  It is a 6 mile hike that starts at Old Man's Cave, travels to Cedar Falls, and ends at Ash Cave.   The features of this area are carved out of the impressive Blackhand sandstone common in this area of Ohio.  It is a popular hike and attracts thousands of people each year.  This year it included me and my hiking buddy Melinda.


The start of the hike was slow and a cold twenty degree temperature.  I do not like cold.  The path was tight and with thousands of people bunched together, we could not get up enough energy to keep warm.  Melinda was a bit under dressed for the hike so I asked her if she wanted to continue.  She is a hearty soul and was determined to finish what she started.  She is a hiking buddy keeper.



We continued to the bottom of the gorge.  I am so glad that we did.  What a beautiful panorama.  It was a winter wonderland of water and snow and stone.



The hike continued through the gorge and across several scenic bridges.  Did I tell you that it is a popular hike?


The devil's bathtub.


We saw icicles that looked like frozen waterfalls.



We took in the beauty of the river.


We hiked on to the Old Man's cave.  It is a recessed cave that is carved out of the sandstone.


The view outside of Old Man's Cave.



We climbed out of the gorge.  There had been some land slide activity and it wasn't safe to continue hiking in the gorge.  We followed the path along the top of the gorge.  The path was wider there and we were able to pick up some speed.  We hiked on toward Cedar Falls.

We saw many scenes of manliness along the way.


We saw many scenes of not so manliness.  Me


My hiking buddy, Melinda.


One of the cute rescue workers we met along the way.  He looks fetch-ing in that vest.


We finally reach Cedar Falls and begin the hike back down into the gorge.  Half way down the stairs, we see the falls.  It was like the curtains opening on the best stage show you could imagine.  Breathtaking


The necessary hiking buddy picture in front of Cedar Falls.



It is at this time that the spray in the air starts to freeze on my camera lens.  There are no more pictures.

We traveled through the gorge.  We went past may beautiful sites that I wish I could have taken pictures of.

We climbed out of the gorge.  At the top we were treated to hot bean soup (the best I have ever had) made in iron kettles, cornbread, and hot chocolate.  I need to buy an iron kettle and get that recipe.

We ended our hike at the half way point and took the available shuttle bus back to our starting point and called it a day.  We may not have made it to the end, but we were off of the couch and active.  That is a win.

I will go back and finish the hike in the spring.

#hiking  #hockinghills


2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your description and photos of the hike!

    My husband and I have been doing the annual hike for about five years. When we went last year, the Kiwanis had put up a poster containing their bean soup recipe. As you might imagine, it used huge quantities of each ingredient. I should do a blog post on it! (Since I photographed the poster, so I still have the recipe).

    My husband and I also had camera issues this year. His failed completely right from the get go. I think it was just too cold. Happily mine hung in there through the entire hike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      Thank goodness your camera hung in there. I love the picture from Ash Caves that you posted. I may go back this weekend just for the Ash Cave portion that I missed. My camera has recovered with no lasting damage. I hope your husband's has as well.

      I encourage the posting of the bean soup recipe. It was so good. Yum

      Delete