Thursday, January 16, 2014

Time To Get Off The Couch And Get Moving

And So It Begins


Two years ago I started the journey toward a happier and healthier me.  It was a success!  I lost 70 pounds and kept it off for almost two years.  There were many goals met and many happy dances made.

I then started having some setbacks.

I know what some of the problems were.

  • I had gall bladder issues that required surgery.  Add ten pounds from inactivity.
  • My hiking buddy fell off a horse and broke her pelvis and cut back her activity.  Add ten pounds from reduced activity and stress.
  • Christmas Cookies (Gawd they were good.)  Add ten pounds from glutenous goodness.

Some problems were not so identifiable.  I started having basic diet issues.  I just felt terrible after eating.

  • Stomach issues
  • Brain fog
  • Asthma
  • My head and face itched
  • Random rashes
  • Tired and unmotivated
  • Holding water / inflammation

When I went back to the notes I kept when I started dieting two years ago, the response was not the same.  The weight was not coming off.  What the (blank) was going on?

The Light Bulb

A friend went on the Paleo diet and I went along to keep her company.  What the heck, right?

Two days after I started, my symptoms were gone.  GONE!  I went off of all allergy medication.  All of my allergy symptoms were gone.  Not just the recent symptoms, but also my "seasonal" allergies that never seem to go completely away in the winter.

Perhaps, I have food allergies.

After two weeks of Paleo, I started adding back foods.  I stayed off of the allergy medications.  I found out that I am allergic to milk and soy.  I really, really, really like ice cream.  Well....Crap.  When did that happen?

At least I'm saving money on allergy medications.  I am a healthier me.  That will make up for the lifetime of no dairy joy I will be living.  What am I saying?  No, it will not make up for becoming an instant dairy celibate.  A virtual dairy nun.  I am bitter.

My New Year's resolution was to start a blog, but what will be the theme?  What do I want to talk about.  What will...wait a minute.  I know what I want to blog about.

I have new found energy and want to get moving.  I want to lose 30 pounds.  I want to visit as many of our beautiful state nature preserves.  I want to improve my photography skills.

Time to get off of the couch and get moving.

I am going to spend the next year blogging about my journey back to health and my efforts to be a more active human.  There will be many beautiful pictures and discussion about the places I visit.  This should be fun.

GO ME!          




2 comments:

  1. First, I want to congratulate you on losing 70 pounds. What an accomplishment! Best wishes on your efforts to reduce again.

    I also had gall bladder surgery this past summer, and I am also dieting now. I started dieting this pat September, and now my BMI is back into the normal range. But since I'm one of those "apple-shaped" people, I'm continuing with the diet in the hopes of getting a more normal-sized waist. Maybe losing 10 more pounds will do the trick.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the encouragement! I can take all that I can get.

    Congratulations on getting you BMI back into the normal range. I am sure you will reach your goal.

    As a bit of a gag, I threw all of the celebrity diets I could Google into a hat and pulled one out at the beginning of the year. It was a fun way to start and reduce the boredom of a new year's diet. I was hoping to pull out Kirstie Alley - Dancing with the Stars and take some dancing classes. What I pulled out was Jessica Alba - Waist Training Corset with diet and exercise. (You're allowed to laugh at this point.)

    I bring this up for this reason. I took it seriously and bought a corset. I thought it was a bit silly and laughed at myself the whole time. The joke is on me. I lost 4 1/4 inches off of my waist in less than 3 weeks. Now, if I can just lose the 30 pounds and look like Jessica Alba when I am done......a girl can dream.

    ReplyDelete